Despite its recent boom in popularity, Portugal remains one of Europe’s coolest destinations—blending the dynamic energy of young creatives and up-and-coming food and wine scenes with the country’s rich history and regal art and architecture traditions. Alongside expert art historian and horticulturist—and Indagare-favorite host—Amy Kupec Larue, you can experience the very best that this destination has to offer, with the Indagare Insider touch. Enjoy world-class cuisine, breathtaking UNESCO World Heritage Sites, treasures of artisanal design and palatial homes formerly belonging to Portuguese royalty through behind-the-scenes tours and meetings with plugged-in locals and aristocrats. Along the way, you’ll visit Portugal’s best cities on the coast and the Douro River—including Porto, Coimbra, Évora and Sintra—and conclude the trip in Lisbon, where vintage yellow trams traverse winding cobblestoned avenues and ceramic-tile façades glimmer in the Iberian sun.
Discover More: Get a sneak peek at the experience from the Duchess of Cadaval in an exclusive interview with Indagare founder Melissa Biggs Bradley. Plus: Get her tips for what to see and do in Lisbon and Évora.
What to Expect
For this special journey, we are thrilled to bring you unmatched access to Portugal. Enjoy history-, art- and architecture-focused touring in the company of art historian, horticultural expert and botanist Amy Kupec Larue, and see some of the most important palaces and museums in Portugal, which demonstrate the country’s most extraordinary tile-work, manicured gardens and melting pot of architectural styles.
Itinerary highlights include:
- Gain an insider’s perspective of Lisbon and Sintra, with private visits to the Palácio da Fronteira (one of the best-kept secrets of Lisbon) and the 18th-century country home of the Countess of Asseca.
- Take day trips to the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Coimbra, Évora and Sintra. In Coimbra, embark on a private tour of the Baroque Biblioteca Joanina, at the world-renowned University of Coimbra. In Évora, also known as “Museum City,” you will be hosted by the Duchess of Cadaval for an exclusive visit to the Cadaval Palace. And in Sintra, enjoy behind-the-scenes access to the famous Palácio da Pena after it has closed to the public.
- Explore the charming city of Porto, with its ornate historical buildings ranging in styles from Neoclassical to Beaux-Arts. You will visit the famous Livraria Lello—one of the oldest bookstores in Portugal and J.K. Rowling’s inspiration for the moving staircases in Harry Potter—before it opens to the public, and experience a wine tasting at Churchill’s, a historic family-owned Port wine lodge.
- Learn about the history and specialized techniques of Portuguese design and artisanal craftsmanship with a guided visit of the Fundação Ricardo Espirito Santo Silva (FRESS).
- Connect with fellow travelers who share your interests and passions over festive group meals sampling Portuguese cuisine and glasses of Port.
- Enjoy luxury accommodations and time to relax at Le Monumental Palace, a Maison Albar hotel, and Bairro Alto Hotel, one of Lisbon’s most stylish stays.
Please note that elements of the itinerary may change.
The health and safety of our travelers is our No. 1 priority. We are committed to upholding the highest safety standards, while providing world-class hospitality and a seamless travel experience. For any questions, please reach out to our team at email@example.com.
WhenNovember 5 – 11, 2023
Length7 days / 6 nights
Type of TravelerIntellectuals , Art Lovers , Foodies