Renowned for its Greek temples, Baroque cities and dazzling multicultural churches, Sicily is a world unto itself, beckoning to history and architecture connoisseurs who want a taste of its rich heritage. This October, step back in time and experience the great wonders of the island with archaeologist and expert historian guide Jamie Sewell, who has been working in Sicily for years. Jamie will take you on a deep dive through the region, from the Norman glories of Palermo and Monreale to the monumental ruins of Agrigento and Syracuse. You will relive Sicilian history with stops in Segesta, the ancient city once belonging to the Elymians; Piazza Armerina, to visit its spectacular Roman villa; and Caltagirone, to learn about its famous pottery. Indulge in the island’s magnificent cuisine—which, like its art and architecture, sparkles with the uniquely Sicilian spirit—in the company of like-minded travelers who share your passion for exploration and discovery.
Plus, listen to our Why Go Now: Sicily conversation with Jamie to hear about the highlights of the trip in-depth.
Plus: You can also travel with Jamie this September on our Insider Journey to Berlin. Click here to learn more.
What to Expect
For this special journey, we are thrilled to partner with Jamie Sewell to bring you unmatched access to Sicily.
Enjoy history-, art- and architecture-focused touring with expert history and archaeology guide Jamie Sewell, in the capital city of Palermo and ancient center of Syracuse. Here, you will see some of the most important Greek and Roman ruins of the Mediterranean, as well as marvels of Byzantine and Baroque design. Jamie holds a PhD in Roman Archaeology and has worked both as a guide and on site digs in Sicily for years, so he will provide excellent context to help you understand the region’s rich heritage…
- Step back in time with visits to Sicily’s best-preserved Greek and Roman ruins, from Agrigento’s Valley of the Temples—a UNESCO World Heritage Site—to the ancient ruins in Sélinonte, originally one of the most important of the Greek colonies in Sicily (with temples dating back as early as 550 BC). Here, you will be able to see the best Greek ruins outside of Greece.
- Enter Palermo’s most fascinating Norman-Byzantine churches and discover the treasures of art and architecture that they contain, with exclusive access to the 12th-century Palatine Chapel for a private visit.
- Tour the beautiful Villa Tasca (the palazzo recently featured in the award-winning HBO series The White Lotus), which sits on one of Sicily’s most emblematic Victorian gardens.
- Explore the small island of Ortigia, the historical heart of Syracuse, which contains such important landmarks as the Ancient Greek Temple of Apollo, Diana’s Fountain by Giulio Moschetti, and Castello Maniace.
- Visit the town of Piazza Armerina and tour the elaborate Villa Romana del Casale, a UNESCO World Heritage Site celebrated for its amazing collection of excavated Roman mosaics.
- Learn about the history and craftsmanship of Sicilian pottery (with time to shop!) at a local ceramics laboratory in the charming town of Caltagirone.
- Connect with fellow travelers who share your interests and passions over meals and glasses of Marsala wine at some of the best restaurants and wineries in Sicily.
- Enjoy luxury accommodations and time to relax at Villa Igiea, Baglio Sorìa, Verdura and Grand Hotel Des Ètrangers.
Please note that elements of the itinerary may change.
The health and safety of our travelers is our No. 1 priority. We are committed to upholding the highest safety standards, while providing world-class hospitality and a seamless travel experience. For any questions, please reach out to our team at email@example.com.
WhenOctober 12 – 19, 2023
Length8 days / 7 nights
Type of TravelerIntellectuals , Art Lovers , Foodies