Episode 39 Mexico Travel Tips & Tequila with Casa Dragones CEO
Bertha González Nieves, Mexico’s first female master distiller and the Co-founder and CEO of the beloved San Miguel de Allende-based tequila brand Casa Dragones, joins Melissa this week on Passport to Everywhere. On a trip to Japan in her early twenties (she was selected by the Japanese government as a young ambassador of Mexico), Bertha realized that the world saw Mexico through the eyes of tequila, and has since been on a quest to perfect the craft with an explorer’s mindset. Known as the “First Lady of Tequila,” she’s built a sustainable luxury brand that celebrates the culture of Mexico through craftsmanship, artisanship and innovation.
On today’s episode, Bertha explains how she transformed the industry of small-batch, handcrafted sipping tequila and showed the world that tequila could be sipped while also competing against other high-end spirits on the table. In the episode, Bertha also shares her love of Mexico City and the mountainous town of San Miguel de Allende, and takes us through her favorite restaurants, bars and galleries.
Finally, Melissa ends the episode with a destination hack on her personal travel tips for making the most of a trip to San Miguel de Allende, a place she considers to be a photographer and design-lover’s dream.
Lightning Round with Bertha:
- What are your favorite hotels in San Miguel?
- Rosewood San Miguel de Allende – an elegantly classic hotel showcasing Colonial Mexico design
- Hotel Matilda – modern hotel highlighting contemporary Latin art
- Amatte Wellnest Community – inspired by Wabi-Sabi Japanese design
- Favorite restaurants in San Miguel?
- Atrio – Mexican European fusion and one of the best views in town
- The Restaurant by Chef Donnie Masterton right in the heart of town
- La Unica- upscale bar & grill with breathtaking views
- Hortus- an elegant new restaurant with classic Mediterranean flavors
- Cumpanio- a local favorite and perfect breakfast spot
- Favorite cocktail bars in San Miguel?
- Of course our Obsidian Bar at La Casa Dragones offering tequila tastings and tours
- Bekeb rooftop by mixologist Fabiola Padilla, awarded in ‘50 Best Discovery Bars’ and offering Casa Dragones mixology classes through our booking platform
- Quince rooftop bar which has amazing views of the Parroquia
- Favorite restaurants, tequila bars, or activities in Mexico City?
- Pujol– a must visit by renowned Chef Enrique Olvera
- Rosetta by Elena Reygadas
- Contramar by Chef Gaby Camara
- Licorería Limantour, ranked #4 in North America 50 Best Bars, led by Mixologist Jose Luis Leon
- Handshake Speakeasy, ranked #11 in North America 50 Best Bars
- Activities—Museo Tamayo, Kurimanzutto, OMR—Lago Algo, each showcasing some of the best Mexican and international contemporary artists of today
- Why do you love tequila?
- I love tequila because it celebrates Mexican culture and brings people together, and is a part of the cultural fabric of the country that I love.
- Love of the craft, it’s a beautiful industry.
Tune in live: June 15, 2023 at 12 p.m. ET
Tune in every Thursday at 12:00 p.m. ET, Channel 132 on SiriusXM Business Radio or listen wherever you download podcasts. Plus, click here to subscribe to SiriusXM for free