Episode 38 Know Before You Go: Grand Canyon
On a recent trip to Sedona, Melissa met expert Grand Canyon guide and outdoor adventurer, Geno Kelly. During their hike, Geno shared mesmerizing stories of the unique geology, archaeology and history of the Canyon, and in today’s episode of Passport to Everywhere, Melissa speaks with Geno to bring these stories back to life. A retired Arizona firefighter, Geno has been studying, hiking, rafting and guiding the Grand Canyon for over 45 years. He’s visited thousands of times, and believes it to be a transformational experience for anyone seeking a chance to get out –– both literally and figuratively.
Today he shares his love for the layered history of the Grand Canyon, covering everything from the beginning of the rock formation to its unique wildlife, plus where to stay in the region, the most exhilarating activities and what visitors need to know before trying them. Don’t miss learning about his personal favorite Grand Canyon experience, his advice for which seasons are best for a visit and the remarkable sights to see in the area.
Lightning Round with Geno:
- Favorite spot to watch the sunrise or sunset? The patio at the Yavapai Geology Museum
- Favorite outdoor activity at the Grand Canyon? River rafting
- Is there anything special to eat or drink at the lodges or restaurants in the area? Everything is good at El Tovar, but I especially love their Navajo taco salad.
- What’s your favorite national park (besides the Grand Canyon)? Glacier National Park
- What’s next on your adventure bucket list? I want to go climbing in the Dolomites.
Tune in live: June 8, 2023 at 12 p.m. ET
Tune in every Thursday at 12:00 p.m. ET, Channel 132 on SiriusXM Business Radio or listen wherever you download podcasts. Plus, click here to subscribe to SiriusXM for free