Episode 30 Hotel Legends: French Riviera’s Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc
There may be no greater hotel legend than the Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc located on the Cap d’Antibes on the French Riviera. Surrounded by a sense of grandeur and mystery, the rose-colored hotel overlooking the Mediterranean Sea exudes magic felt by both the staff and guests who return year after year. Matisse, Picasso, Hemingway and more have all roamed the hotel halls, and creatives keep coming back to this day. Famously eternalized by F. Scott Fitzgerald in Tender is the Night, the mystique and glamor of the hotel continues decade to decade as it upholds a reverence to its past and welcomes new generations through its revolving doors.
This week on Passport to Everywhere, Melissa speaks with the team from du Cap: Managing Director Philippe Perd, Hotel Manager Sophie Volant, and Head Concierge Gilles Bertolino, who has worked at the hotel since 1987. Learn how the property continues to inspire by “keeping one foot anchored into the history, and one foot anchored into the future” with an unmatched sophistication and elegance. Plus- hear inside stories from the du Cap team, learn about their favorite spots around the property, what is new at du Cap this season, and the craziest requests they have received from guests.
And, this week on travel hacks: Melissa speaks with novelist, Indagare member and du-Cap regular Jay McInerney about what makes the hotel so incredibly special and his recommendations for making the most of a visit.
Lightning Round with Managing Director Philippe Perd:
- What’s your favorite spot on the property at Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc? Having a morning coffee on our Eden-Roc Restaurant terrace looking at the sea before starting the day
- What is one thing you have to eat or drink at the hotel? Our legendary Bellini Cocktail on the Bellini terrace overlooking the Grande Allée
- If you could have a cocktail with any prior guest at Hotel du Cap, who would it be? Grace Kelly. We have been inspired by her and her values to compare our Grande Dame, Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc
- Favorite restaurant in Antibes? Michelangelo – famous Italian restaurant in the old town
- What’s a must-see or must-do in Antibes? Picasso Museum in the old town of Antibes followed by a walk to the daily local market
- What’s your favorite beach in the French Riviera? Plage Keller at the Cap d’Antibes with stunning views over the sea with the French Alps in the background
Lightning Round with Hotel Manager Sophie Volant:
- What’s your favorite spot on the property at Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc? Sitting on a bench by the turtle fountain nestled in the middle of the park, with the song of the frogs and crickets
- What is one thing you have to eat or drink at the hotel? The timeless, historical lunch buffet at the Eden-Roc restaurant with those views over the glittering Mediterranean – my favorite is the fresh catch of the day brought daily by the local fishermen!
- If you could have a cocktail with any prior guest at Hotel du Cap, who would it be? Sarah and Gerald Murphy in the roaring 20’s, a socialite American couple from the Upper East Coast who organized parties with Picasso, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, etc…they asked the first proprietor of Hotel du Cap to open some rooms in the summer for the first time (it had only been winter so far), and consequently made the pleasures of the French Riviera in the summer so famous.
- Favorite restaurant in Antibes? Louroc, our Michelin star restaurant creating a poetic dialogue between Provence and Mediterranean. And I believe our new Italian restaurant ‘Giovanni’s’ that will open for the first time in May will also become a favorite…for resident guests only!
- What’s a must-see or must-do in Antibes? Paddle or row to the Billionnaire’s Bay – located between the old town of Antibes and Hotel du Cap. You can also reach it with our own Eden-Roc Riva.
- What’s your favorite beach in the French Riviera? Plage Keller in Antibes. Beautiful, romantic and great food too
Lightning Round with Head Concierge Gilles Bertolino:
- What’s your favorite spot on the property at Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc? The cabana area
- What is one thing you have to eat or drink at the hotel? A Bellini on the hotel balcony
- If you could have a cocktail with any prior guest at Hotel du Cap, who would it be? Robert De Niro
- Favorite restaurant in Antibes? Restaurant le César, Plage Keller
- What’s a must-see or must-do in Antibes? The Provencal Market
- What’s your favorite beach in the French Riviera? Le Club 55, St. Tropez
Tune in live: April 13, 2023 at 12 p.m. ET
Tune in every Thursday at 12:00 p.m. ET, Channel 132 on SiriusXM Business Radio or listen wherever you download podcasts. Plus, click here to subscribe to SiriusXM for free.