Episode 29 Christian Louboutin: On Fashioning a New Hotel
Christian Louboutin may be known for his legacy in fashion and his revered red-bottomed shoes, but he’s now entering the realm of hospitality. His new intimate hotel, the Vermelho Hotel which means “red” in Portuguese, opened earlier this month in the small fishing village of Melides, Portugal. With historical wooden doors, antique furniture, local Alentejo tiles, and rare artworks Christian personally collected around the world; Vermelho is infused with craftsmanship, local culture, and the essence of the Mediterranean.
This week on Passport to Everywhere, Christian and Melissa dive into how travel inspired his creativity- in both fashion and his new hotel-and what makes Vermelho stand apart in design and authenticity. Christian shares the origin story of the hotel (it was originally going to be only a restaurant) and why he created it to feel more like a home than a hotel. He also dives into the beauty of Portugal and what motivates his nomadic lifestyle creating homes in different parts of the world. Plus- don’t miss what Christian loves most about life in the Portuguese countryside, and what he believes makes for a perfect day in Lisbon, Melides and Egypt.
And, this week on travel hacks: Melissa answers your questions on summer travel.
Lightning Round with Christian:
- What is your favorite travel sneaker or shoe? Slip-in shoes, no shoelace, way easier for airport checks and the plane
- Three other favorite hotels that inspired you as you were creating your own? Al Moudira in Luxor, Hotel Nacional in Havana & Villa Palladio in Jaipur
- Favorite hotel in a city? The one where you feel at home, so not really any international place
- Something you always travel with that isn’t your phone or iPad? My agenda
- What is another place in Portugal that you think is a must-visit? Évora is an underrated city. And Vila Viçosa
- What are you reading now? Nos Frères Inattendus by Amin Maalouf
- What summer trip are you planning now? Melides as every year, I invite friends and family, it’s like in the French comics Asterix & Obleix, during the day you do whatever you want, but we all meet for lunches and dinners.
Tune in live: April 6, 2023 at 12 p.m. ET
Tune in every Thursday at 12:00 p.m. ET, Channel 132 on SiriusXM Business Radio or listen wherever you download podcasts. Plus, click here to subscribe to SiriusXM for free.