Since being named Europe’s Capital of Culture in 2018, Malta—a tiny archipelago nation rising out of the sea between Sicily and the North African coast—boasts medieval towns and storied harbors that have lately been drawing artists, chefs, winemakers and entrepreneurs, who’ve imbued the island with fresh energy and innovation. In the company of Architectural Digest Contributing Editor Gay Gassmann and Indagare founder Melissa Biggs Bradley, you can join the trendsetters for an in-depth experience of this off-the-beaten-path treasure that is equal parts delightful and historical and explore with the insiders behind the island’s exciting evolution.
What to Expect
Itinerary highlights include:
- Discover Malta’s UNESCO World Heritage Sites on expert-guided, exclusive-access tours of some of the best-preserved ancient and medieval monuments in the world—including the fortified city of Valletta (the first planned city in Europe), The Three Cities, the Hypogeum Temples, the temples of Hagar Qim and Mnajdra and the “silent city” of Mdina.
- Tour some of Malta’s finest Baroque buildings and vibrant gardens to view priceless works of architecture and art—including after-hours access to St. John’s Co-Cathedral, which contains two paintings by Caravaggio (one of which is The Beheading of Saint John the Baptist), alongside the tombs of more than 400 Knights of Malta.
- Spend the day on Malta’s world-famous aquamarine seas, cruising to the idyllic island of Gozo, with stop at Blue Lagoon—a pristine beach on one of the smallest islands in the Maltese Archipelago.
- Savor Maltese cuisine and wine with tasting tours at the Ta’ Betta Wine Estate and Ta’ Frenc, one of Malta’s top restaurants, which is situated in a 400-year-old farmhouse.
- Enjoy invitations into some of Malta’s most exquisite private residences, including the restored 16th-century palazzo of interior designer (and Malta’s the Ambassador of Culture) Francis Sultana, as well as Casa Rocca Piccola, an aristocratic museum and the residence of the Maltese de Piro family.
- Relax at the Corinthia Palace, a luxurious Neoclassical hotel conveniently situated across from the San Anton Gardens. The property is undergoing a landmark renovation by Francis Sultana, and you’ll be able to get a sneak peek at its reincarnation.
- Worry less, experience more: Indagare’s expert Insider Journeys team will help you navigate a safe and rewarding travel experience—and help plan custom trip extensions to Sicily, Rome or beyond. Plus: You’ll have complimentary 24/7 access to the emergency medical, security and evacuation services of Global Rescue, while on the ground.
Please note that elements of the itinerary may change.
The health and safety of our travelers is our No. 1 priority. We are committed to upholding the highest safety standards, while providing world-class hospitality and a seamless travel experience. For any questions, please reach out to our team at email@example.com.
WhenApril 12 - 16, 2023
Length5 days / 4 nights
Type of TravelerIntellectuals , Art Lovers , Adventurers