A tropical paradise with equal emphasis placed on its British heritage as its world-class luxury, Barbados is one of the Caribbean’s most appealing—and accessible—islands. Cast between the Caribbean Sea to the west and the Atlantic Ocean to the east, the island draws travelers with a host of activities, be it relaxing on picture-perfect beaches, surfing the wild east coast breaks, shopping in Bridgetown and Holetown or visiting historic homes and plantations. The hotels here are lovely, but it’s important to know where to stay. Here, Indagare outlines the best places to stay on Barbados, from a luxurious classic resort to lavish villa rentals.
Contact Indagare for assistance booking a trip to Barbados. Indagare can match you with the property that is right for you and plan dining reservations and activities.
The Ultra-Luxurious Grande Dame: Sandy Lane
Once a playground for British royalty, Sandy Lane still maintains a formal air with lavish accommodations, fine dining and a glamorous clientele, with a stunning setting on an idyllic stretch of beach.
- Best for: Couples and families who want incredibly polished service and luxurious amenities.
- Rooms to Book: The Luxury Dolphin, Luxury Orchid and Penthouse suites are all two-bedroom accommodations that can connect to form larger units.
- Activities: Guests can enjoy a variety of water activities, tennis courts and three championship golf courses including one designed by Tom Fazio. The plush spa and fitness facilities are renowned and offer the ultimate in pampering and wellness experiences.
- Dining: The four restaurants and seven bars on property provide a range of dining options, from very formal to casual and family-friendly.
- Good to Know: Room rates, meals and services are incredibly expensive at Sandy Lane, so this is not a good choice for those on a budget.
Related: Barbados 101
The Caribbean Country Club Retreat: Coral Reef Club
With tasteful cottage interiors, thoughtful service and a laid-back atmosphere, Coral Reef Club feels like a posh country club or expertly run family compound.
- Best for: Couples, families or groups looking for discreet privacy who will appreciate the quaint cottages sprinkled throughout the lush property.
- Rooms to Book: The five Luxury Plantation Suites are the most spacious and opulent accommodations, with mahogany furnishings and large canopied beds. They also have private pools and sundecks, as well as covered terraces and sea views.
- Activities: The property has an excellent spa as well as tennis courts, water sports and access to horseback riding and polo as well as golf.
- Dining: There is only one restaurant on property, and its à la carte menu changes daily. Live music often accompanies meals.
- Good to Know: There are no TVs in the rooms.
Related: Falling for Barbados
The Family-Friendly Beachfront Resort: Fairmont Royal Pavilion
A family-friendly vibe pervades this grand, pink-hued hotel, set on one of the prettiest beaches in Barbados.
- Best For: Families who want a relaxed, full-service property with a long beach and calm waters.
- Rooms to Book: Every room provides breathtaking ocean views, but for a private deck and direct beach access, request a Junior Suite on the ground floor.
- Activities: There is an outdoor pool and small gym but no spa. Golf can be arranged through the hotel at the neighboring Royal Westmoreland Golf Course.
- Dining: There are two restaurants on property: the more casual, alfresco Taboras and the sophisticated Palm Terrace Restaurant, which offers stunning ocean views.
- Good to Know: We have had reports that while the rooms have been updated, the common spaces feel dated.
The Exclusive and Private Hideaway: Villa Rentals
One of the best ways to enjoy Barbados with your family or a group of friends is by renting a villa. Indagare has excellent relationships with the best property managers on island, which have villa options ranging from two- and three-bedroom houses to grand ten-bedroom compounds.
- Best for: Large families and groups who want ample space and privacy.
- House to Book: Each house has special perks, which may include direct beach access, private speed boats and pools with swim-up bars and waterslides. Indagare knows the villas on island well and can match you with the best property.
- Activities: All villas offer full concierge service, which allows guests to partake in any activity on island such as golf, tennis, horseback riding, polo, water sports and more. Each villa also comes with a rental car so guests can explore the island at leisure.
- Dining: All rentals are fully staffed with at least one chef, butler and maid, depending on the number of rooms. The chef will make any meal to your liking and can provide a plethora of dining options for those with dietary restrictions or specifications. Indagare can also provide a list of the island’s best restaurants for those who would like to dine off property.
Related: A Private Retreat in Barbados
Contact Indagare for assistance booking a trip to Barbados. Indagare can match you with the property that is right for you and plan reservations and activities.