Church of Agios Nikolaos, Ladopoulou, Ermoupoli, Greece
Located close to Miaouli Square in the center of Ermoupoli, stands the church of Agios Nikolas (or Saint Nicholas, the city's patron saint). With King Otto's approval, the Greek Orthodox church was started in 1848 and completed in 1870. Its lavish interiors are a magnificent architectural display—two stories tall with marble bell towers, Ionic columns, arcades and a marble temple and throne crafted by sculptor Georgios Vitalis. Some of the best hagiographers of the era painted the icons within the church and the stained-glass windows light up the inside with colors reminiscent of the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.
Written by Sydney Lapin