Ethniki Odos Kerkiras Palaiokastritsas, Paleokastritsa 490 83, Greece
Travelers can wind their way up the white-washed and flowered alleyways of the tranquil Ano Syros neighborhood above Ermoupoli in Syros, Greece, to reach the Catholic Cathedral of Saint George. Five different churches have stood in its spot, including one by the Byzantines in the 8th century and by the Venetians in 1207. The Catholic Cathedral of Saint George was built in the 1830s, with pastel hues and marble columns. The oldest part to still exist today is the bare stone-walled baptistry dating back to 1705. Tip: don't miss the views of Ermoupoli on the walk up to the church.
Written by Sydney Lapin