The European Fine Art Foundation (TEFAF) is widely regarded as the world’s preeminent organization for fine art, antiques, and design. Each March, the leading art and antiques dealers from nearly 20 countries present their finest work, which covers about 7,000 years of art history. The flagship fair takes place in Maastricht, in the Netherlands, in a space that is totally transformed by thousands of tulips, carnations, anemones, and huge branches of magnolia. This season only, you’ll have the chance to go behind-the-scenes of TEFAF Maastricht, with a preview invitation to the fair—before it opens to the public—and a special-access itinerary expertly curated by Architectural Digest Contributing Editor Mitchell Owens and Indagare Founder Melissa Biggs Bradley. In the words of Mitchell Owens: “I’ve attended art and antiques shows for decades, yet none has affected me—creatively, intellectually, culturally—like TEFAF Maastricht. It is the most important fair of its kind in the world, a paradise of rare and wondrous treasures, from ancient to contemporary, where museum curators and top-flight collectors seek out the best of the best in every possible category.” Quite simply, it’s a once-in-a-lifetime trip for connoisseurs and collectors.
What to Expect
For this special journey, we are thrilled to partner with Architectural Digest and TEFAF to give you unmatched access to TEFAF Maastricht. Highlights of this itinerary include the opportunity to:
- Get first access to TEFAF Maastricht—the most significant and exclusive art, design and antiques fair in the world—with expertly-curated visits on the two preview, invitation-only days of the fair (on March 9 and 10—before the fair opens to the public on March 11). You’ll meet the best of the best of the design world, from preeminent collectors and curators to artists and architects, with the chance to witness (and browse*) singular pieces across mediums and time periods, before they are swept off into the world’s finest private collections, galleries and museums. This experience is exclusively available for our travelers, for this season only, thanks to Architectural Digest and Indagare’s connections and our collaboration with TEFAF.
- Enjoy private invitations to receptions at galleries and other TEFAF exclusive venues, in the company of your hosts, AD Contributing Editor Mitchell Owens and Indagare Founder Melissa Biggs Bradley—as well as local friends, artists and members of the TEFAF team.
- Have a special visit of Axel Vervoordt’s Kanaal, a mini “city” for design located within a complex of beautifully restored 15th- and 16th-century houses, containing galleries and exhibition spaces, Axel’s own antiques collection, an organic market and much more.
- Experience a charming, classical tour of Flanders’ fine art and architecture, and cultural history, with daily touring in Maastricht, the Netherlands and day trips to Antwerp and Genk, Belgium and Aachen, Germany.
- Stay at the beautiful La Butte aux Bois, which is a convenient 20 minutes from TEFAF, with daily breakfast included. Due to the heightened draw of the fair, it is often impossible to secure hotel rooms this close to the fair, without a connection.
- Indagare’s expert team can arrange tailor-made trip extensions, with the purchase of membership. Some of our favorite suggestions for this trip are Antwerp, Amsterdam, Paris, London or Milan. Email us to learn more.
*For those who are interested in buying, the vetting process is one of the main pillars of TEFAF Maastricht’s fame. The TEFAF vetting committee is devoted to creating an atmosphere in which buyers can buy works of art with confidence.
Please note that elements of the itinerary may change.
The health and safety of our travelers is our No. 1 priority. We are committed to upholding the highest safety standards, while providing world-class hospitality and a seamless travel experience. For any questions, please reach out to our team at email@example.com.
WhenMarch 8 - 12, 2023
Length5 days / 4 nights
Type of TravelerArt Lovers , Style Mavens , Intellectuals