Often described as Africa’s final frontier—and one of the least-populated places in the world—Namibia consists of deserts, sand dunes, huge open spaces and great swaths of silence. This April, you can survey these diverse landscapes in the company of Indagare founder Melissa Biggs Bradley—exploring UNESCO World Heritage Sites within the historic region of Damaraland, tracking magnificent desert-adapted wildlife with local guides, visiting the rugged Skeleton Coast and participating in cultural exchange with the Himba, a desert-dwelling, semi-nomadic people. You will be able to strike a balance between meditation and adventure, on nature walks through otherworldly landscapes, excursions by air and by ATV, and tours for photography, conservation and cultural exchange—all while based at the region’s most beautiful luxury lodges.
A spot on this trip may be reserved with a nonrefundable deposit of 50% of the total trip cost, with full payment due December 1, 2022.
Interested in learning more about Namibia? Indagare staffers Elise Bronzo and Diana Li recently returned from a road trip safari through the dunes. Click here to read about their trip.
What to Expect
Itinerary highlights include:
- Discover Namibia’s awe-inspiring landscapes—a true photographer’s paradise—through hikes, walks and nature drives with expert guides, as well as outdoor adventure activities like sand-boarding and quad biking, in the company of Indagare founder and Africa travel expert Melissa Biggs Bradley.
- Enjoy game drives with conservationists through the ephemeral river beds of Damaraland to track rare desert-adapted wildlife such as elephants, giraffes, lions and rhinos.
- Marvel at prehistoric rock art at the UNESCO World Heritage Site Twyfelfontein, which protects perhaps the largest and finest collection of petroglyphs in Africa.
- Visit one of Africa’s largest private nature reserves, NamibRand, and immerse yourself in its majestic mountain ranges, dune belts and varied flora and fauna.
- Explore Sossusvlei’s iconic giant red sand dunes, with the chance to climb one of the highest dunes, “Big Daddy,” and visit Deadvlei, an ancient white-clay pan.
- See the otherworldly Skeleton Coast by air and by land. This vast desert along the beach is dotted with shipwrecks and hosts an amazing array of wildlife, including seabird colonies, cape fur seals and desert-adapted elephants and lions.
- Meet with the Himba—one of the desert-dwelling semi-nomadic peoples living in the area—to learn about their community life, traditions and history.
- Traverse one of Africa’s final frontiers in safety and comfort, with private charters, expert guides and accommodations at top luxury lodges, including Onduli Ridge, Shipwreck Lodge, Hoanib Valley Camp, and Kwessi Dunes Lodge.
- Worry less, experience more: Indagare’s expert Insider Journeys team will help you navigate a safe and rewarding travel experience, and you’ll have complimentary 24/7 access to the emergency services of Global Rescue, on the ground.
Please note that elements of the itinerary may change.
The health and safety of our travelers is our No. 1 priority. We are committed to upholding the highest safety standards, while providing world-class hospitality and a seamless travel experience. For more information and questions, please reach out to our team at email@example.com.
WhenApril 23 - May 2, 2023
Length10 days / 9 nights
Type of TravelerTrailblazers , Soul Searchers , Adventurers