The white-walled city of Tangier, Morocco—known as the “Door of Africa,” as it sits on the tip of the continent, facing Europe across the Strait of Gibraltar—has long been cloaked in romance and mystery. In the 20th century, it attracted artists and writers like Paul Bowles and Bob Dylan, as well as spies, gamblers and royals. Today, its greatest charms are hidden within private preserves belonging to its longtime residents and newer habitués, who have created special retreats that flourish in this magical Mediterranean subtropical climate. Their houses and gardens mix Moroccan craftsmanship, European colonial influences and elements of the sea to create a unique Tangerine style. For an exclusive look behind the closed doors of this ancient port town, join this intimate Insider Journey, hosted by Indagare founder Melissa Biggs Bradley and Architectural Digest‘s Alison Levasseur, and explore Tangier’s environs in the company of some of its most interesting and innovative inhabitants, at homes featured in the pages of AD.
Plus: Combine this trip with our-back-to-back experience with Architectural Digest in Marrakech.
What to Expect
For this special journey, we are thrilled to partner with Architectural Digest to give you unmatched access to Tangier. Highlights of this itinerary include the opportunity to:
- Spend time with legendary Italian horticulturist and writer Umberto Pasti in his villa, which contains an extensive collection of North African textiles and objects, as well as at his celebrated garden Rohuna, located in the countryside outside the city. With one of the greatest collections of botanical species in Africa, Rohuna has been recognized as a masterpiece of sustainable horticulture.
- Meet interior designer Frank de Biasi for dinner in the gorgeous riad he restored in the medina, which has been featured in international design publications.
- Visit the beautifully restored Dar Ouezzane of famed British antiques dealer and host of the BBC’s The Extraordinary Collector Gordon Watson, who will invite you for a memorable meal in his treasure-filled retreat in the “palace district.”
- Connect with fellow travelers who share your interests and passions over lunches and dinners at some of the greatest estates on Tangier’s Old Mountain, including the homes of designers Veere Greeney and Nicolò Castellini Baldissera.
- Tour the American Legation, the oldest continuously operated diplomatic property and only national historic landmark outside of the U.S.—with interiors that mix American colonial touches with Moroccan crafts.
- Enjoy special guided shopping experiences at Tangier’s top boutiques, which showcase contemporary Moroccan fashions and housewares, as well as in favorite galleries in the souk to discover antique textiles, carpets, ceramics and jewelry.
- Worry less, experience more: Indagare’s expert Insider Journeys team will help you navigate a safe and rewarding travel experience—and help plan custom trip extensions to Marrakech, the Atlas Mountains, Dar Ahlam or beyond (with the purchase of Indagare membership). Plus: You’ll have complimentary 24/7 access to the emergency medical, security and evacuation services of Global Rescue, while on the ground.
Please note that elements of the itinerary may change.
The health and safety of our travelers is our No. 1 priority. We are committed to upholding the highest safety standards, while providing world-class hospitality and a seamless travel experience. For any questions, please reach out to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WhenMay 14 - 19, 2023
Length6 days / 5 nights
Type of TravelerArt Lovers , Intellectuals , Style Mavens