Join elephant conservation expert and television host James Currie for a once-in-a-lifetime safari in Kenya to see the last of the big tusker elephants (whose tusks weigh more than 100 pounds, each!). Fewer than 20 of these elephants are believed to be left in the world—and you’ll be able to venture into off-limits reserves to find (and help protect) them, while staying at some of our favorite luxury lodges in the area, including Ol Donyo and Mara Plains Camp.
The health and safety of our travelers is our number-one priority. We are committed to upholding the highest safety standards, while providing world-class hospitality and a seamless travel experience. We are in close contact with all of our partners to ensure that they are committed to the health and comfort of our travelers by practicing enhanced disinfecting procedures, respecting social distancing and testing guidelines, and remaining as low-contact as possible. For more information and questions about specific protocols that have been put into place to make your trip as safe as possible, as well as entry/exit requirements for Kenya, please reach out to our team at email@example.com.
What to Expect
Itinerary highlights include:
- Once the most sought-after safari destination in Africa—attracting the likes of Queen Elizabeth II and Ernest Hemingway—Kenya has come to share the stage in recent years with other showstoppers like Tanzania and Zimbabwe. In the company of safari and conservation expert James Currie, enjoy incredible (tourist-free) access (including off-road trails restricted to the Kenya Wildlife service) to the wildlife-rich reserves of Tsavo East National Park, Amboseli National Park and the Maasai Mara for daily morning and evening game drives in search of creatures like big cats, rhinos and elephants—including the extremely rare and endangered big tuskers. (Read more about the history of the big tuskers here).
- Spend three nights at Ol Donyo. Situated on 275,000 acres between Kenya’s Tsavo and Amboseli National Parks, this is a rustic-luxe lodge with views of the Chyulu Hills and Kilimanjaro that features suites with rooftop “star beds,” private plunge pools and African art. Ol Donyo has 10 guest suites in six stand-alone thatched villas and supports the Big Life Foundation and Pack for a Purpose Initiative, which benefit wildlife and the local community.
- Spend three nights at Mara Plains Camp (owned by Great Plains Foundation, who is also behind Zarafa and Duba Plains in Botswana), which is one of only five camps located in the 35,000-acre Olare Motorogi conservancy of the Masai Mara. Mara Plains feels like an authentic safari camp that has been redesigned with modern luxuries. The rooms feature leather couches, oriental rugs and wooden plank floors and have pops of red and purple, an homage to the local Maasai culture. There are seven tents and one family tent that shares a platform. Views are either of the plains or the river, the latter of which has many hippos.
- Spend three nights at Satao Camp, which enjoys a prime location overlooking a watering hole in the heart of Tsavo East National Park. This park is home to some of the largest elephant and buffalo herds in Kenya, and travelers can enjoy the many wonderful attractions of the area, including Galana River and Lugard’s Falls, the magnificent Yatta Plateau, and Mudana Rock.
- Contribute to conservation and sustainability efforts hosted by our chosen lodges, aimed at protecting Kenya’s precious wildlife.
- Connect with fellow travelers who share your interests and passions over sundowners and meals in the bush and outdoor adventures.
- Worry less, experience more: Indagare’s expert Insider Journeys team will help you navigate a safe and rewarding travel experience—and help plan custom trip extensions to the Seychelles, Tanzania, Rwanda or beyond. Plus: you’ll be guided through the new travel landscape by our most trusted local partners, and you’ll have complimentary 24/7 access to the emergency medical, security and evacuation services of Global Rescue, while on the ground
Please note that elements of the itinerary may change.
Length10 days / 9 nights
Type of TravelerTrailblazers , Adventurers , Do Gooders