Tunisia is a country of stunning contrasts—and surprises—whose mélange of influences and cultures is immediately intoxicating. Its landscapes range from southern desert expanses to verdant farmland up north, and attractions are as varied as archaeological sites, postcard-perfect seaside villages and a buzzing contemporary scene in Tunis—juxtaposed with one of the world’s oldest Medinas. It has some of the most well-preserved Roman and Phoenician ruins of antiquity, forever memorialized in epic poems like The Iliad and The Aeneid—including Carthage. On this special itinerary led by expert guides, explore bustling Tunis and head south to Tozeur, the gateway to the Sahara Desert. Tunisia is often compared to Morocco before it became a mainstream travel destination, and you will explore behind the scenes and meet the locals who will make both past and present come vividly to life.
A spot on this trip may be reserved with a 50% non-refundable deposit, with the balance to be paid in full by November 10, 2023.
What to Expect
Highlights of this itinerary include:
- Enjoy an expert-led walking tour of Carthage, one of the classical world’s most mythical cities. The excavation work at this stunning open-air museum is simply breathtaking.
- Explore Tunis’ historic Medina (one of the oldest in this part of the world) and observe artisans at work—then shop the souks for local treasures and crafts and explore the contemporary scene of Tunis, including art galleries and boutiques run by a new generation of creatives.
- Take a walking tour and catch the sunset in Sidi Bou Saïd, a photogenic blue-and-white hilltop village, with expansive sea views, that drew artists like Paul Klee and fashion designer Azzedine Alaïa, whose former home you will get to visit.
- Spend adventurous days in the Sahara, including visiting one of the original movie sets of Star Wars, and hiking to a desert oasis.
- Embark on a day trip to Dougga, a UNESCO World Heritage Site housing ruins that are said to be the best-preserved Roman town in North Africa.
- Worry less, experience more: Indagare’s expert team will help you navigate a safe and rewarding travel experience—and can help plan custom trip extensions in Tunisia, France or beyond (with the purchase of Indagare membership). Plus: You’ll have complimentary 24/7 access to Global Rescue, while on the ground.
Please note that elements of the itinerary may change.
The health and safety of our travelers is our No. 1 priority. We are committed to upholding the highest safety standards, while providing world-class hospitality and a seamless travel experience. For any questions, please reach out to our team at email@example.com.
WhenApril 21 – 29, 2024
Length9 days / 8 nights
Type of TravelerArt Lovers , Foodies , Intellectuals , Trailblazers