Passion Points: Escape
Last year we introduced Indagare Adored, a select group of hotels and resorts that consistently score high with our staff, contributors and community. Most of those properties (read the complete listing here) made the cut this year as well. They are joined by ten other unique retreats that excel at making guests feel utterly transported. From an upscale dude ranch in Montana to a hotel in the rice paddies of northern Thailand, these are 2012’s Indagare Adored. We will be adding more properties throughout the year; email us about your favorites and why they deserve to make the cut.
Castiglion del Bosco, Tuscany
Perhaps no other European property has received as many raves from the Indagare community as CDB (due to constant usage, we came up with an abbreviation). “Breathtaking” and “beautiful” and “stunning” are words used to describe this Ferragamo-owned resort and winery in the hills of Tuscany, an easy drive from both Florence and Rome. Reserve well ahead for trips during peak season. Read more about Castiglion del Bosco.
La Réserve Ramatuelle, St.-Tropez
Located a ten-minute drive from the town of St.-Tropez, La Réserve is that rare hotel that runs so smoothly even trained critics won’t find fault. It has a boutique feel, with just twenty-three rooms but also such amenities as a fabulous spa and restaurant plus seemingly never-ending Mediterranean vistas. For travelers searching for the quiet side of the fabled French resort, this is our hands-down favorite. Read more about La Réserve Ramatuelle.
Kasbah Tamadot, Morocco
Just one hour south of Marrakech, Kasbah Tamadot is a world away from city hustle, nestled in the foothills of the Atlas Mountains with only a small Bedouin village for company. Part of Sir Richard Branson’s Limited Edition hotel group and extensively renovated with a unique blend of Moroccan colors and textures, this palace retreat was described by one Indagare member as “practically note perfect.” Read more about Kasbah Tamadot.
Four Seasons Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Guests all share in their hesitation to leave,” Indagare’s Brooke Pearson wrote after her visit to the Four Seasons, in northern Thailand. Hugged by rice paddies, it’s one of those wonderful destination-specific places that makes guests feel that they are part of local life and activity. Read more about the Four Seasons Chiang Mai.
La Residence, South Africa
A must for anyone traveling to South Africa, La Residence is tucked into the stunning wine country surrounding Cape Town and is full of color and life and imagination. People who like drama will appreciate the wow factor. With only eleven rooms, the hotel is perfect for those looking for privacy. The service is superb; demanding guests will feel well taken care of. Read more about La Residence.
The Ranch at Rock Creek, Montana
Owner James Manley, an East Coast–based banker, fulfilled a lifelong dream when he bought this 6,600-acre, big-sky Montana property in 2006. Luckily for travelers, he created a unique guest ranch complete with haute cabins, tented safari-style lodgings and a decked-out game lounge. The ranch is for the next generation of the most upscale dudes. Read more about the The Ranch at Rock Creek.
“Like many of the best travel destinations, the Amangiri rewards those intrepid enough to get there,” an Indagare member wrote after a visit to this Utah property. Located on 600 acres close to the Grand Staircase–Escalante monument, the boutique hotel’s designers were clever not to try and upstage one of the world’s most impressive landscapes. Read more about Amangiri.
Post Ranch Inn, California
Perched high above the Pacific Ocean, the Post Ranch Inn is one of the world’s most romantic properties. Tucked away (you can’t see it from the road), stunningly designed and with glorious food, it delivers one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences you will want to recreate the second you check out. Read more about Post Ranch Inn.
A bucket-list destination for adventure travelers, this part of Patagonia is not convenient or easy to reach. But for those who do make the trek, Explora, surrounded by incredible landscapes and with excellent guides, offers a destination of lifetime. Read more about Explora.
Estancia Vik, Uruguay
The sister property of Indagare Adored Playa Vik, in Uruguay, the Estancia embodies Punta del Este’s laid-back artistic vibe. The property is a labor of love by its dedicated owners, who have created a deeply personal, handcrafted place that’s truly destination-specific. Read more about Estancia Vik.
Search By Keyword
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.