Passion Points: Food/Wine
Besides New York, it’s difficult to think of another city as food-obsessed as Hong Kong. The buzzing metropolis has thousands of eateries with a huge variety of cuisines. Of course there is no place better to eat Chinese food than here (the city even boasts the world’s cheapest Michelin -star, a hole-in-the-wall dim sum place). Apart from luring the best chefs from mainland China, the city has direct flights from both hemispheres and most continents, permitting the sourcing of fresh fish, meat and seasonal vegetables.
Sampling such specialties as spicy crab, Peking duck and dim sum are musts for any visitor. But in recent years the city has also developed a cool private-kitchen scene (small establishments where a chef cooks for just a handful of diners), as well as seen the opening of trendy spots, especially in the fast-transforming Sheung Wan neighborhood, near Central.
Here is a short-list of Hong Kong favorites that would make a comprehensive culinary itinerary for a three- or four-day trip. If you have other favorites to add send us a postcard.
Best for…a Big Night Out
- Café Gray Deluxe, in Admiralty
- Bo Innovation, in Central
- Caprice, in Central
- Spoon by Alain Ducasse, in Kowloon
Best for…an Authentic Local Vibe
- Wang Fu, in Soho
- Tung Po Sea Food Restaurant, in North Point
- Rainbow Seafood Restaurant, in Lamma
- Tim’s Kitchen in Sheung Wan
- Coco Thai, in Deep Water Bay
Best for…Private Kitchens/Innovative Chefs
Best for…a Hip Scene
Best for…a Cocktail with a View
- Aqua Spirit, in Kowloon
- Café Gray Deluxe Bar, in Admiralty
- Intercontinental Lobby Lounge, in Kowloon
- Sevva, in Central
- Isola, in Central
- Agnes B., in Sheung Wan
- Press Room, in Sheung Wan
- Classified Mozzarella Bar, in Sheung Wan
Best for…Chinese Specialties
- Chili Crab: Under the Bridge Spicy Crab, in Wanchai
- Dim Sum: The Grand Stage at Western Market, in Sheung Wan, Maxim’s Palace, in Central, Victoria Harbour Seafood, in Central, Tim Ho Wan, in Kowloon
Search By Keyword
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.