Passion Points: Food/Wine
The first part of Indagare’s four-part Best of Italy Dining series focuses on the iconic Amalfi Coast, including the island of Capri. Since the towns of Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, Sorrento are quite spread out, it’s important to plan your meals accordingly. For example, if you are driving to Positano or Ravello from Naples, it’s easy to stop for lunch at Michelin-starred Don Alfonso 1890, in the Sorrento peninsula. If you are based in Positano, local favorite La Tagliata is easily reached via a half-day hike or a 15-minute drive in the evening. And many of the best lunch spots in the region are accessible by boat.
Here are Indagare’s top suggestions, as well as local picks from Indagare insiders, the owners of the region’s most stunning hotels: Antonio Sersale from Positano’s Le Sirenuse and Ori Kafri from JK Place on Capri. If you are planning a trip to the region and would like help with your itinerary, contact Indagare’s Bookings Team.
…a Big Night Out: Amalfi Coast
Local Pick: ” Next 2 is a great restaurant with lovely cuisine. It’s owned by a charming woman named Tanina, who is also the chef. It’s always a fun scene.” ~Antonio Sersale
…a Big Night Out: Capri
Raves an Indagare member who recently returned from a trip: “The Capri restaurants were each fabulous in their own way, particularly Villa Verde.
…Local Cuisine: Amalfi Coast
…Local Cuisine: Capri
Local Pick: “A great place for a local scene is Da Gelsomina, in Anacapri which has a nice terrace and views.” Ori Kafri
…Lunch on the Water: Amalfi Coast
- Lo Scoglio, near Sorrento
Local Pick: “For the hippie in all of us, I suggest Da Adolfo on a little beach near Positano for lunch. A beach scene can also be had at Chez Black, a favorite place of Denzel Washington when he visits Positano.” ~Antonio Sersale
…Lunch on the Water: Capri
…Families: Amalfi Coast
…the best view: Amalfi Coast
A toss-up between the restaurant at the Sirenuse and the one at the Il San Pietro. For something more low-key, book a table at La Tagliata, a local favorite in the hills above Positano, that serves up heaping plates of pasta followed by a variety of grilled meat.
…the best view: Capri
The setting of JK Place is pretty romantic, since the hotel juts out across the Bay of Naples and JKitchen is a great spot for a laid-back dinner removed from the tourist droves of Capri Town. Another magical spot is Le Grotelle, a restaurant in the hillside outside Capri Town whose terrace has stunning sea views. Come for sunset cocktails and stay for the simple but delicious food. An Indagare member recently returned from Capri also raved about Il Riccio, the beach club and restaurant managed by the Capri Palace, in a great location by the Blue Grotto.
Search By Keyword
Intimate, hip beach hotels line the shore of this former...
To quote the renowned historian Alan Morehead, "Anyone who can...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.