Passion Points: Family
Indagare member Victoria Kennedy recently returned from a long weekend at the new Dorado Beach, a Ritz Carlton Reserve. Here are her impressions.
As we were being shown around the new Dorado Beach resort, a Ritz Carlton property, my husband asked whether there was a backgammon board anywhere. I don’t think our guide quite understood so we chalked it up to a language barrier thing and kept walking. About twenty minutes later, when we got to our room, a backgammon board was sitting on one of the beds. This was the kind of service we received throughout our stay at the hotel.
We took a quick weekend trip with our two sons, ages 12 and 7. While I had a feeling I would love it based on my research, I managed my husband’s expectations knowing it was a newly opened establishment. But from the moment we arrived—and were greeted by the staff standing outside like a scene out of Downton Abbey—we knew we were in for a special visit. I gasped at the view when we walked into the reception area, with a reflection pool and gorgeous water lilies—the serene interior juxtaposed with the dramatic surf beyond is stunning. Our room, a two-bedroom suite with a rooftop cabana and pool, was a dream. Rooms are beautifully decorated and the bathrooms are very large, though I preferred using the magical outside shower. At night my husband and older son played backgammon on the comfortable mattress chaise while my younger son splashed around in the lighted pool.
My husband and 12-year-old loved taking surfing lessons and we all enjoyed lunches at Encanto with their kid-friendly menu and pool. I also saw people enjoying picnics set up outside their rooms on the beach by their personal butlers. The food at Mi Casa was excellent—especially the margaritas with salted foam and tuna tartare. Breakfast was delicious and coffee was excellent coffee. We also loved the bar area with the sand floor and the wide screen TV for watching sports games. They’ve thought of everything.
The resort has a perfect balance of excellent service, beautiful surroundings, world-class accommodations and lots of fun activities for a family or a romantic get-away. My children had a blast. One my favorite moments was when my 7-year-old—at the water park wearing an inner tube—yelled, with his hand-pumping over his head, “Best vacation ever!” With a direct flight and no customs, we can’t wait to go back for another long weekend.
Room tip: Buildings one through five are on the best swimming beach. I recommend splurging for a room with a plunge pool. Avoid the room that is right next door to Mi Casa as I imagine it can get loud at night.
Search By Keyword
This island has unspoiled coral reefs and protected lagoons so...
Preserved by ancient fortifications and years of neglect, Cartagena is...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.