Passion Points: Style
From Punta del Este to St. Tropez, a breezy yet sophisticated look is just as important as the right hotel (or villa). One designer whose new resortwear has a chic modern flair is Michelle Smith, an FIT graduate who also studied at the renowned ESMOD school in Paris. When designing pieces for her women’s line Milly, which features lots of bold colors, geometric patterns and shiny silk fabrics, the Connecticut native and current New York resident draws inspiration from her many travels abroad. The beautiful cover-ups and sunny cotton polos from Smith’s latest resort collection are based upon the designer’s journeys to Punta Mita, Mexico. Below, Smith, whose designs are available at stores like Bergdorf Goodman, Neiman Marcus, Harrods and Takashimaya talks to Indagare about fashion, Punta Mita and her (other) favorite places around the world.
Where has been your greatest inspiration for work? Paris. I lived there for 3 years while I trained in design at Christian Dior Haute Couture, Louis Vuitton and Hermès. It’s the fashion capital of...
Search By Keyword
Berlin is one of Europe's most fascinating, stimulating and underrated...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.