Passion Points: Active/Adventure
At the end of 2011, we quizzed members and staff about their favorite discoveries this year. Indagare member J.O. Tobin finds the best way to travel around Africa and loves the check-in at London’s Berkeley hotel. Read more Best-of-2011 Interviews.
My travel highlight of 2011 was our family safari in Kenya and Tanzania. From the moment we landed in Nairobi and were whisked through customs almost imperceptibly, to when someone went back onto the airplane to fetch my forgotten hat, everything was really smooth. We only had to walk a few yards to our bush plane and were airborne 25 minutes after we had landed in Kenya. It was better than any commercial airport in the USA. The three mobile camps we visited and Lewa House and Giraffe Manor in Nairobi were great. The only drag was that to get to Tanzania, visitors have to fly from the bush back to Nairobi, clear customs, then fly to Tanzania, clear their customs, and finally fly on to your camp. We did all our flying privately in a Cessna caravan, and it was worth the extra cost.
“Our favorite hotel we visited in 2012 was the Berkeley, London, especially having check-in take place in our sitting room. Our suite was on the first floor with two terraces overlooking the front of the hotel. The spa and pool, while small, are lovely enchanted orchards.”
Search By Keyword
London is nudging past New York as the world’s financial...
Unspoiled beaches and pampering resorts make the BVIs a top...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.