Destination: St. Barth's
For a tiny island, St. Barth’s has a remarkable number of first-class hotels: seven that are ranked four-star luxe and another that would be if the inspectors were invited. However, among those, only one has more than forty rooms (Le Guanahani), and some have fewer than twenty. That means you have a lot of choices, but it can be tough to get a room. As only Guanahani is owned by a large real estate company, these hotels have retained real individual characters, so it’s important to choose the right spot for you. Adding to the capacity crunch, though, is guests’ tendency to develop favorite haunts; repeat visitors make up more than 50 percent of the clientele. (On a trip in July, I bumped into a couple on the plane who were going to St. Barth’s for their third long weekend in six months.) While the quantity of luxury rooms has increased in recent years, with the upgrades and additions of Eden Rock, Le Sereno and Le Guanahani, there are still less than 270 high-end rooms. However,...
Search By Keyword
From super-future cities to remote countryside, China offers an incredible...
A French island with Italian flair, Corsica beguiles with dazzling...
The best of the Riviera Maya, a gorgeous coastline that's...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.