Inn at Shelburne Farms
On the last day of our visit to Shelburne Farms, a historic estate in Vermont, my young son, Andrew, and I decided to take a walk along the shore of Lake Champlain. It was a sultry August afternoon, and sailboats glinted in the distance. We hopped over a stone wall edged with wild mint and onto the beach of a sheltered cove. Behind us, round hay bales dotted the farm’s emerald pastures. For three days, we had delighted in exploring the gorgeous 1,400-acre property. I had known we would relish time alone, but I hadn’t expected to find a place where two people of very different ages and tastes would be equally in heaven.
The former estate of Lila Vanderbilt Webb (daughter of William Henry Vanderbilt) and her husband, William Seward Webb, Shelburne Farms has been a working farm since the late 1800s. In the late 19th century, architect Robert H. Robertson designed a series of extraordinary buildings for the property, including the main house, set on a cliff above the lake; the enormous Breeding Barn, which has a cathedral...
Search By Keyword
The Basque Country is synonymous with good eating, and San...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.