Expert Advice for Family-Friendly African Safaris
One of our favorite travel specialists shares advice on favorite lodges for families.
How do you tailor the safari experience for families traveling with children?
Camel and horse rides are always popular with the younger ones. The horses we use are really safe, gentle creatures, and they go out in nose-to-bum fashion. The younger boys in particular like to go out with the Masai men who will teach them how to throw spears, study animal tracks and check the freshness of rhino dung (usually done with one’s fingers)—things little boys like. Our guides will also arrange scavenger hunts for what they refer to as the Little Five: the rhino beetle, the lion ant, the elephant shrew, the leopard tortoise and the buffalo weaver bird.
Selecting the right lodge is also always important when traveling with children and a lot of families like to have their own private lodges. We work with a lot of four and five bedroom properties as well as the ten and twelve room ones (which are great for a group of families traveling together) so you...
Search By Keyword
Sophisticated living combined with a refreshingly laid-back California attitude in...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.