Destination: China: Hong Kong
Big Buddha in Lantau
An exciting attraction in the city is the 3.5-mile cable-car ride that starts near the airport and immediately heads up to the mountains of Lantau, before gliding along the plateau, toward its final destination, the Po Lin monastery. The architect wanted it to be like a pilgrim’s journey to a Tibetan monastery, with the building appearing on the horizon and then gradually drawing closer. Inevitably, being Hong Kong, it is a commercially oriented operation, with shopping opportunities galore at the destination.
For all that, this is the next best thing to a helicopter ride, offering a unique perspective of the largest island, Lantau, and the Big Buddha statue, claimed to be the largest seated outdoor bronze statue of the religious icon. Indagare Tip: Get tickets ahead of time on the Ngong Ping 360’s Web site to skip the sometimes long lines (www.np360.com)
Search By Keyword
From super-future cities to remote countryside, China offers an incredible...
A French island with Italian flair, Corsica beguiles with dazzling...
The best of the Riviera Maya, a gorgeous coastline that's...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.