Destination: New Orleans
Irvin Mayfield’s Jazz Playhouse
Every night at 8 p.m., live music entertains a varied crowd at the sumptuous Irvin Mayfield’s Jazz Playhouse. Even the staunchest wallflowers will find the dance floor irresistible.
Spotted Cat Music Club
Frenchmen Street is lined with live music venues, and where the more authentic nightlife, removed from Bourbon Street, thrives. The locals head to the Spotted Cat Music Club—a cash-only dive bar where the stage is the main attraction.
The Howlin' Wolf
A larger, jazz-infused rock club, The Howlin’ Wolf is a great venue to see live music in the Warehouse district. You can often catch the Grammy-award winning Rebirth Brass Band here.
An iconic New Orleans music hall dedicated to the late great jazz Professor Longhair, Tipitina’s is one of—if not the best—music clubs in town. Located uptown on the corner of Napoleon Avenue and Tchoupitoulas Street, it is a cab ride away from the French Quarter. Tip’s combines a simple structure and a funky crowd with fabulous music, making it a go-to spot for jazz and brass roots music. Local jazz greats, such as Troy Andrews “Trombone Shorty” as well as famous out-of-towners play here. Advance tickets recommended.
Search By Keyword
Change comes slowly to this small Bahamian island, and that’s...
This incredibly diverse, enormous country at the tip of the...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.