Destination: Uruguay: José Ignacio
Vibe: Cozy, vibrant, family friendly.
At a glance: Situated on 4,000 acres of farmland in Jose Ignacio, Estancia Vik is a Spanish colonial ranch with exquisite interiors crafted by local Uruguayan artists.
Review: Estancia Vik in Jose Ignacio, Uruguay, is a true labor of love. The owners, Alex and Carrie Vik, had a vacation home in the area for years before buying the 4,000-acre property on which they built the estancia, a traditional Spanish colonial structure with white adobe walls and a red tin roof. Working with some of Uruguay’s top architects, artists, designers and craftsmen, they have created a property whose exquisite interiors showcase true individual passion.
The twelve individually decorated suites and master suites were each imagined by local Uruguayan artists who created site-specific works for the spaces. Sculpture, painting and design play an important throughout the property, whether it’s the painted ceiling of the living room, done by artist Clever Lara, which features a Google Earth–inspired representation of Jose Ignacio and Uruguay, or the colorful walls of the traditional parillero (barbeque) painted by notable artist Marcelo Legrand in his brilliantly chaotic style.
Situated on 4,000 acres, the Estancia also encompasses living spaces, a brick-barreled dining room, a swimming pool (complete with fiber optic lights that mimic the constellations above), a spa and stables from which you can ride down to the nearby beach and sister property Playa Vik. Terraces offer panoramic views of the untouched natural pampas that surround the Estancia—you may even be able to spot some ostriches.
Who it’s right for: Couples or families interested in an intimate Uruguayan ranch experience with a vibrant interior aesthetic that is just ten minutes from the beach. Travelers looking for a beachfront property or want to be within walking distance from town, should consider Playa Vik.
- Views from the wrap-around terraces off of corner suites and master suites.
- Animated dinners at the traditional parillero (barbeque) painted by notable artist Marcelo Legrand.
- Myriad activities including horseback riding, polo, canoeing, golf, wine-tasting, art tours and many more.
Search By Keyword
The French islands of Porquerolles and Port-Cros offer breathtaking cliffs,...
Known as the Blue City for its cobalt-painted facades, Jodhpur...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.