Destination: Peru: Cusco
In addition to being a gateway to the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu, Cusco is a wonderful introduction to two of the most fascinating periods in Peru’s history: the reigns of the Inca and of the conquistadores.
Also in this report: The city’s best hotels under Where to Stay, top restaurants under Where to Eat, advice on touring the Sacred Valley and a list of the best boutiques and markets in Cusco under Where To Shop. We work with wonderful local guides and operators should you want assistance with a customized trip.
INDAGARE TOP TEN
EXPERIENCE…dinner preceded by a museum visit at the uniquely situated MAP Café
DRINK…plenty of coca tea, which helps one adjust to the high altitude
SAVOR…the views from Sacsayhuaman, the Inca ruins on the edge of town
VISIT…the Cathedral and look for the Lord of the Earthquakes, a fifty-pound gold and jewel-encrusted statue of Jesus
SEE…the Sacred Valley around Cusco, whether you hike, bike, horseback ride or raft in its rivers, you will be awed by the natural beauty
KNOW…the expert archaeologists, trekkers and historians who can introduce you to the region as insiders
Search By Keyword
Insider picks from Athens and the best island, including Mykonos,...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.