Destination: American West
Vibe: Serene, minimalist-chic interiors and stunning views.
At a Glance: Surrounded by one hundred acres of sand-hued canyons, Amangiri is a perfect place for a weekend of hiking, spa treatments and relaxation in southern Utah.
Review: Adrian Zecha fell in love with a boulder: a gnarled, beige behemoth that jutted into an expansive landscape littered with hoodoos (sandstone towers) and flecked with verdant desert greenery. The founder of Aman Resorts pictured a pool wrapped around this rock. Never mind that it was located on government lands, that the purchase of the surrounding 100 acres took ten years, a special permission from congress and a signature from then-president George W. Bush. In the end, Zecha got what he dreamed: a spectacular U-shaped pool hugging his rock and an even more spectacular resort wrapped around both.
Amangiri (meaning peaceful mountain) is located in southeastern Utah, near the border of Arizona, close to the famous Grand Staircase–Escalante National Monument. Comprised of low-rising, squat buildings that look like the ultimate James Bond hideaway, the resort mimics the sand-hued color of the surrounding canyons, blending...
Search By Keyword
The largest single-mountain ski resort in North America is better...
Savannah is a magical otherworld where the pace is slow,...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.