Destination: Thailand: Bangkok
Dome at State Tower
The three bars on top of the State Tower—Distil, Sky and Ocean 52—may be overpriced and their ambience a bit too-cool-for-school, but their views are so spectacular that a cocktail here is a must for anyone, especially the first-time visitor. Sky and Distil are on the sixty-fourth floor. Don’t be surprised when, once out of the elevator, you find yourself accosted by staff asking to escort you to either venue (the staff-to-guest ratio seems to be 5:1). Distil, to the right of the elevator bank, is relaxed and chill: it is lined with wide, cushy seating areas where you can lounge as Bangkok twinkles in the background. Sky is the more aggressively hip and arguably more breathtaking place: a stand-only bar-in-the-round, lined with lit glass, that looks as if it hung suspended over the city (you can actually see it from the river). The newest addition, Breeze, on the fifty-second floor, offers a more traditional bar; the ambience is more tranquil and intimate. The Dome has four restaurants as well (read an Indagare member’s review of Sirocco, on the...
Search By Keyword
Cacophonous and colorful, Delhi is rich with tradition and culture.
The Dutch capital is the kind of city where you'll...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.