Destination: Bora Bora
La Villa Mahana
In a region with a dearth of fine dining, La Villa Mahana stands out like an emerald in a sea of rocks. The dream restaurant of chef Damien Rinaldi Dovio, who once helmed L’Orangerie in Los Angeles but ran away to Bora Bora and married a Tahitian woman, the Mahana is his baby in every way. Only seven two-person tables are tucked into three levels on the patio of a Provençal-style home belonging to a famous regional artist. There is one seating a night. This way Dovio can create the menu—which may be anything from a goat cheese tart to lobster and shrimp risotto to mahimahi with curry and banana—and do all the cooking and much of the serving himself. He favors vanilla and uses its essence in many dishes. Make the most of his many talents by ordering one of two tasting menus offered each night. It was by far the best meal I had in all French Polynesia, and when I go back, I’ll reserve for several nights.
INDAGARE TIP: Though the restaurant has been open only...
Search By Keyword
The three-island nation is known for its white-sand beaches, wild...
New on Indagare
Give the Gift of Indagare The perfect present for travelers: a membership to Indagare. Buy now
Indagare Insider Trips: Cuba, Myanmar and India: We’re planning trips throughout the year. Contact Indagare (212-988-2611) to be added to the wait list.
- Community: Share advice with fellow members asking about your favorite travel discoveries.
- Indagare Insiders: Three-day itineraries for families in London and art lovers in Vienna. Plus, fashion insider Chiara Ferragamo’s picks on what not to miss in Florence, Bonnie Gokson, owner of Hong Kong’s lofty Sevva on Hong Kong, Culinary Insider: Budapest.
- Rant & Rave: Indagare members can share their advice with the community by logging in first, then clicking here: Rants & Raves.
- Give the Gift: Indagare: Give the gift of travel intelligence with a membership to Indagare. For details or to order, call us at 212-988-2611 or click here: Gift Membership.
- Indagare Plus: Remember that hotels marked by an Indagare Plus symbol offer preferential rates and benefits to members.
- Indagare Share Feature: Share articles, postcards and reviews with family and friends on such networking sites as Twitter, Facebook and Delicious. Simply click on the three small dots that symbolize our connect icon, at the end of every article, and follow the link to the networking site of your preference.
- Sample Indagare: With free bi-weekly email blasts on new hot spots and insider tips when you sign up for our mailing list.
- Profile feature: Members share your profiles, comments, favorite articles and IQs. Just click on the Profile tab on the upper right of your screen and look for the Edit My Profile blue tab.
- Indagare means to discover, explore, seek, scout in Latin.